Search This Site:
All MP3's are up for a limited time and are for sampling purposes only. If you wish to download any MP3 that you don't own already on CD, Cassette Tape, Vinyl Record, Graphaphone, Gramaphone, Phonographic cylinder, SACD, DAT, MiniDisc or even if you remember the tune and try to sing it between two cups and a length of string (illegal), you must (legally) delete all tracks after 24 hours. Music posted here is posted out of love, not with the intention for profit or to violate copyright. If you are the creator (or copyright owner) of a song, excerpt, essay, graphic or photo posted on this blog, please contact me if you want to comment on the selection or wish to have it removed. I will act swiftly.


PASSWORD for ALL files: MP3@3pm
For ALL PROBLEMS, please visit FAQ page
and you will surely find the answer.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins [2005]


Hello again. You find me in a bit of a bad situation as it is almost 4.30am, I lay in bed with a shit of a pain harassing my soul like a friggin' curse...I decided I had to get up. Nothing else for it. Not that sitting here in the glow of the monitor is exactly fun when you are so tired and sore but at least it gives me a chance to update the page!

Someone asked about a track in the comment-box over there on the right...They said, 'Can anyone post a song called "Let's Pretend We're In Antartica" by Of Montreal I think?'. Well the name of the track sounded a bit inviting to my warped mind, though the spelling of Antarctica made me recoil but then I remembered: this is after all the internet. Spelling is blasphemy around these parts. I still can't really get used to that fact.
Well I looked around and discovered the band was indeed called 'Of Montreal'. The album in question, 'The sunlandic Twins'. I could go on and on about it. I could tell you how my *lady who shall never be named* came in and shouted over the tunes...'what is that shit? Can you turn it off...Please? Or at least turn it down so I can't hear it'. I could tell you how I replied 'Actually it's pissing me off too..what a load of bollocks. I am kind of looking for an excuse to turn it off!'
So there you have it. Of Montreal.
A load of bollocks.
Before you judge ME, remember!
I am a creative soul. I am as artistic as the next man and, very musical. I write, create and perform my own songs. I know music and I know what makes a good, solid tune. I also know there are many types of music and not all of them have to mean something or fit a formula in order for them to be considered good. Read on.
Their music is somewhat mixed up in the way that a very insecure person might dabble with religion, claiming at once to be a devout Christian and tell you how they have been saved from their own sadness whilst at the same time still partaking in all of the things that brought them to the conclusion that they needed to be saved in the first place...Drink, drugs, self-flagellation, etc.
Of Montreal brings you the sound of a kind of 'European electronica' and then all at once throws an impression of the Beatles in the 1960's at you. Just as you are trying to become accustomed to that you find yourself being hurled into an ambient abyss with very little to hold on to or indeed make you want to stay anywhere near it. To my ears it is simply a fucking noise. Not a nice one at that. The vocals. Well, they get on my tits. Memories of screaming kids comes to mind. Wailing and whing·ing.
When I was (re)searching this band I was pretty excited about hearing them due to the number of great reviews and amount of people trying to find the album in forums etc all over the place. I mean, this must be a great band I was thinking.
Now I think...what the fuck are these people on??
Is this what music has become?
This is considered talented music? Or forget the talent ratings, lets just judge it on its listenability:
Listenability = ZERO.

So there you really have it.
Of Montreal.
They suck.

Give it a try, You might like them.



LINKS:
ONLY ONE PART IS REQUIRED
Server 1
================
Server 2
================
Server 3
================
Server 4
================
Server 5
================
You might be wondering why I didn't post the bonus disc. It isn't much of a bonus to be honest but, in the interests of fairness I will post it tomorrow ok!
More soon.

Tags::::::
- Link for this post -

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, for the most part. Though their live shows are rather entertaining. And I like "Oslo in the Summertime" quite a bit.

J

10/15/2006 07:01:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Of Montreal and really would have no problem with anything you said if you hadn't tagged on that bit about writing and performing your own music. You sound like a jackass. To universally understand music, one must understand the mechanics of harmony. I'm certain you don't, given your inflated sense of authority on what defines good music. Then again, if you were concerned with subjectivity, you wouldn't have a blog. Keep up the good work.

10/24/2006 07:21:00 am  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Hmm. I'm not sure whether to respond to what you said or just tell you that people like you really piss me off. It's a pointless excercise to say 'ner ner ner ner ner! I DO! I REALLY DO understand harmony! Honest I DO! Please, PLEASE believe me!' (makes me wonder why I just did it).
It is precisely due to the fact that I can play and write my own music that I consider myself a fucking expert on harmony. You have no idea what I have done in my life and certainly no clue as to my musical ability.
Fucking tosser.

10/25/2006 03:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could post all of your music for free and let us decide whether your skill(s) are truly better than Of Montreals?

10/27/2006 01:58:00 pm  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Perhaps not.

10/28/2006 01:18:00 am  
Blogger k8no said...

I have downloaded the album via megaupload, but the password didnt work, if you have the right pass, please let me know

10/28/2006 07:01:00 am  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Sorry but the problem is with you mate: Either you did not copy and paste or enter the password EXACTLY as it is, with upper and lowercase letters, or, the file has become corrupted during the download. The password I use is automatically placed into every file I upload so there is never a wrong password used. It is ALWAYS the same one:
MP3@3pm
Good luck!
If the password will not work, download again and it will.

10/29/2006 01:22:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hitmewithit, I like to read a considered, strongly held and vigorously expressed opinion on music. But just for the record and a matter of balance – I also feel that "I know music" well enough and have several years of listening to a vast range of it to draw on, and in my opinion this is a much better record than you suggest. I've played it often and, in varying degrees from track to track, enjoyed it. I recommend it to anybody interested in an eclectic, inventive album that shows influences from the 60s onward, including touches of psychedelia, 70s soul-pop, 80s techno and beyond. It's texturally rich and rhythmically varied without ever losing that personal directness that's typical of the best diy-based indie music. The vocals have no great power but they're honest enough and without bombast – I don't feel that many people would find them a problem. I don't hear anything that you describe as "ambient" (I guess the brief "Our Spring ... " is closest) but there are some instrumental interludes that generally work just fine. So, if someone enjoys stuff like .. let's see ... The Boy Least Likely To, Apples In Stereo, maybe Midlake or Elf Power and their ilk, chances are they'll find something to like in Of Montreal's "The Sunlandic Twins". The new one sounds pretty good too.
By the way, you've got a nice blog going – Hendrix, Delta Blues, Ricky Gervais ... spot-on.

11/07/2006 10:19:00 am  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Wow. What can I say. Firstly I thank you for your comment and I regard it highly - nice to get a well written and objective (or is it?, joking!) opinion rather than insults around here!
You know you have just inspired me to get this damn album back downloaded from the net and play it back. I will do that today. You see, I don't like to think I have dismissed something out of hand but as you know, music is entirely subjective and, what I consider great you might consider diabloical etc and so it goes on.
I see what you're saying about Of Montreal though, the influences, psychedelia etc. I just found it all a bit tired out. Like too much that has gone before with nothing added that made it 'shine' out from the rest.
I can be wrong...of course! So I'm going to listen to this one again just to see if I can find anything in there that warms me!
If I do, I might even come back and admit it!
:)
I wish you'd leave more comments dude ... talk is good.

11/07/2006 11:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol Of Montreal is great and a lot of people, people that know music more than you, agree with that statement. Just because it ain't your cup of tea doesn't make it shit

4/29/2011 08:10:00 pm  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Hmm. Firstly, here is some free advice: Stop starting a communication with 'lol', it doesn't help.
Secondly, if I think this music is shit, top me, then it is shit.
If you think it is good then does that make it good?
Idiot...

5/06/2011 01:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home