Search This Site:
All MP3's are up for a limited time and are for sampling purposes only. If you wish to download any MP3 that you don't own already on CD, Cassette Tape, Vinyl Record, Graphaphone, Gramaphone, Phonographic cylinder, SACD, DAT, MiniDisc or even if you remember the tune and try to sing it between two cups and a length of string (illegal), you must (legally) delete all tracks after 24 hours. Music posted here is posted out of love, not with the intention for profit or to violate copyright. If you are the creator (or copyright owner) of a song, excerpt, essay, graphic or photo posted on this blog, please contact me if you want to comment on the selection or wish to have it removed. I will act swiftly.


PASSWORD for ALL files: MP3@3pm
For ALL PROBLEMS, please visit FAQ page
and you will surely find the answer.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Arcade Fire - Funeral [2004]


As you might have noticed, this site isn't being updated as much or as well as it was.
Just bear with me: Some problems and things that are beyond my control are going on right now. You can be assured though that whenever possible, I WILL be uploading and updating this place. I like it here and don't want it to go downhill..well not too much!
So as usual this is hurried. No time for that blinding wit and biting sarcasm today(unless that was some of it?), just an album that I wish for you to hear and I imagine you haven't.
This was sent to me by a site visitor(isn't there a better sounding title for them than that?), with a recommendation that encouraged me to have a listen with full expectations of it being superb.
Well, let me start by saying I don't put it into the 'superb' category. Have I ever told you exactly what albums/ music I DO put into that category? I'll keep you guessing on that for now.
I do however recognise that this band is talented and they play a tight tune. When they play, they do it well. I just don't have much of an interest in the genre or style of tracks I hear on this one. It is reminiscent of the franz Ferdinand wave that seems to be seeping into so many bands these days..now, I am not saying that Arcade Fire are listening to Franz Ferdinand and they get their sound from it, I think it more a case of the two bands have taken influences from a similar place.
I have a problem though, when I listen to this album it reminds me of something I have heard in the past. Maybe from the 80's, I'm not sure. Like when you know a word is in your head but the memory is so mixed up that you just can't quite put your finger on the word or in this case, name of the band, you are trying to remember!
There is more than a hint of Talking Heads in there as they do a lot of the 'Thumping-beat driven, electric guitar - wall of noise' kind of stuff but to be honest, it isn't Talking Heads that I'm trying to remember!
Have a listen and let me know if they remind you of some older band...who the hell is it?!
Answers on a postcard. Prize for the first correct entry pulled out of my pants.
Anyway..much to my surprise and a pleasant surprise at that, there are some beautiful, slow and acoustic tracks on this album. As soon as they come on the mood changes along with my opinion of them.
Now I like them.
They tell a story in one of these songs and lyrically it is beautiful too.
Brilliant.
So after hearing it I put it on again.
And again.
And again.
For three days I have listened to this and my womanfriend is getting a little more than tired of it!
The verdict?
They have grown on me more than I thought they might.
This is a great(not superb mind) album and I urge you to take it now -while it's here.

LINKS:


======part 1======
[RS]
6273815
Photos.of.norway.2004.part1.rar
================

======part 2======
[RS]
6274098
Photos.of.norway.2004.part2.rar
================

Normal service will resume when normality returns.
Wow. That was profound.
----------------------------------------------------
Tags::::::
- Link for this post -

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Arcade Fire, I heard the disco tempo of Devo,the unorthodox lyrical of Pixies, the gusto driving of Talking Heads, and the nostalgic beat from Joy Division ... However the full symphonic "antic" sound and the positive mood from slow to fast progression are quite unique . Definitely one of best CD that come out this year.

10/16/2005 03:20:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoever recommended this must have an extremely large p***s

10/17/2005 05:03:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have listened to Funeral many times since last April - especially the most "popular" songs such as Laika, Power Out and Wake Up and also Rebellion (Lies) and In the backseat. And I agree that they do grow on you.

I cannot really say about their influences -- critics are much better at this -- and in any case nothing is new under the sun and has not (almost) ever been. What I can say is that I like _a lot_ the songs I have mentioned, I like a lot some of their lyrics and I find some of their songs very uplifting and arousing --as in they make you want to sing along, or rather shout along and jump (not dance) along-- which is much more than I can say for many other bands.

So maybe Funeral is not THE masterpiece some of the media/critics have declared, but in my very non-expert opinion, it does stand out.

10/18/2005 10:00:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thank you!
Arcade Fire is a total discovery for me.
I will also listen to the albums of Franz Ferdinand, to correct my gaps.

10/20/2005 05:02:00 pm  
Blogger Miguetelo said...

Uff they are a great band, this is a good band, it reminds me some David Bowie's stuff specially in the vocals. ;)

10/21/2005 12:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home