Search This Site:
All MP3's are up for a limited time and are for sampling purposes only. If you wish to download any MP3 that you don't own already on CD, Cassette Tape, Vinyl Record, Graphaphone, Gramaphone, Phonographic cylinder, SACD, DAT, MiniDisc or even if you remember the tune and try to sing it between two cups and a length of string (illegal), you must (legally) delete all tracks after 24 hours. Music posted here is posted out of love, not with the intention for profit or to violate copyright. If you are the creator (or copyright owner) of a song, excerpt, essay, graphic or photo posted on this blog, please contact me if you want to comment on the selection or wish to have it removed. I will act swiftly.


PASSWORD for ALL files: MP3@3pm
For ALL PROBLEMS, please visit FAQ page
and you will surely find the answer.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Jimmy Smith - Six Views of the Blues (1958) REMASTERED



Bananas and rice. Confused? I am currently on what is called an Exclusion diet - to attempt to distinguish any foods that make my Crohn's disease symptoms worse from the ones that don't affect it at all. Or that is how the theory goes. It's not difficult to be on it, just very boring at times. As I only started it less than three weeks ago I am at the moment only able to pick my 'meals' from a list of about 12 or 15 different foods. Bananas and Rice being what I just had today so far.
Just thought I'd share that with you!



MUSIC!.........
Before I start let me apologise to any of those Jazz aficionados who know everything from the beginning of time to the present day and all that is JAZZ.
I don't know much that is JAZZ. I think the closest I come to JAZZ is when I put on some Gong! So, forgive my inadequacies and let me just talk about the music without the facts and dates and times and all of that crap.
Thanks :)
This album is of the BLUE NOTE variety which may mean something to you, it may not. to me it's a mark of quality. Even wikipedia thinks so. (Even they say it is a JAZZ label). I have heard a few albums from them by now and some great unknown artists (unknown to me of course, but it was always blues music, not Jazz...anyway let's not get into that too much).
I'm not sure how this will go down but after listening to it last night and again right now I had to post it. I always tended to sway more towards Blues music generally but, when I am listening specifically to blues I never used to like the more Jazzy stuff.
I don't know but I still feel that so much jazz music reminds me of shopping mall or elevator music.
Game show stuff or something.
I struggle to enjoy so much Jazz I have heard so I don't listen to it much.

The reason I'm talking jazz is that this blues music is on the cusp, you might say, of Jazz and Blues.
It could be classed as both no doubt as there's no mistaking those deep blues riffs and yet there's a lot of Jazz style going on.
Strange to say: I love it.
If you want a pleasant, relaxing listening experience then go for it.
It's what you might call a very cerebral experience. Almost feels like the old brain cells are dancing...hehe...if you listen carefully you'll understand that comment.
I recommend a joint of not too strong marijuana, or a glass of wine, sit back and unwind.
If you can't do that then pop it on the personal player or ipod and go to the nearest shopping mall ... heh.
(I was joking there)

LINKS:
Remember - Files are in Rar archives~ Using Winrar, Winrar Software Here
Howto Download From Megaupload
Howto Download From Rapidshare


Single Rar Archive] Click or Click.
================
Single Rar Alternative 1] Click or Click.
================
================

Hey I just thought, I might have actually mentioned the details of the album too eh?

well as you seen from the title its called:
Jimmy Smith - Six Views of the Blues
1. St. Louis Blues (8:42)
2. The Swingin' Shepherd Blues (3:59)
3. Blues No. 1 (6:30)
4. Blues No. 3 (7:13)
5. Blues No. 4 (10:52)
6. Blues No. 2 (9:06)

Jimmy Smith (Hammond B-3 organ)
Cecil Payne (baritone saxophone)
Kenny Burrell (guitar)
Art Blakey
Donald Bailey (drums)


It apparently was unreleased for a long time and only made the light of day 40 years AFTER it was recorded!
This Jimmy Smith guy (hehe) was quite a thing back then. If you, like me, are virtually oblivious to his existence then I urge you to do what I'm doing myself right now...go read some info on him.
I checked out a couple of pages that I'd recommend just to get an idea of who this guy was (he died in 2005) because he seems to have been a major player in the development of music as we know it today.
Wikipedia (of course)
Dedicated Jimmy Smith site (Go!)
All About Jazz biography of Jimmy Smith (a great link!)
Hardbop Jimmy Smith Page
Allmusic.com Biography of Jimmy Smith

There. You learn something new every day.
Well I did today at least.

Tags::::::

Labels: ,

- Link for this post -

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy Smith recorded two albums worth of material on the same day in 1960 with the saxophonist Stanley Turrentine. "Back At The Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special" are two of the best, coolest, most fun jazz records I've ever heard.

12/16/2008 02:28:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This album is of the BLUE NOTE variety ... I have heard a few albums from them by now and some great unknown artists (unknown to me of course, but it was always blues music, not Jazz...anyway let's not get into that too much)"

BLUE NOTE was and it IS a pure jazz album, since 1939 and at least until the early seventies. Of course some of the famous jazz recordings (by Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, John Coltrane, Blue Mitchell, Jimmy Smith, Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy, Horace Parlan, Jackie McLean, and and and ...) also play some blues (in their modern style), but they are not known as "Blues artists". The Blue Note Label was and is a jazz label, at least until the early seventies, then it was sold again and again, and finally it also offered some "pop"-jazz (using their famous jazz image) but they never produced or offered "blues".

12/28/2008 10:40:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home