Search This Site:
All MP3's are up for a limited time and are for sampling purposes only. If you wish to download any MP3 that you don't own already on CD, Cassette Tape, Vinyl Record, Graphaphone, Gramaphone, Phonographic cylinder, SACD, DAT, MiniDisc or even if you remember the tune and try to sing it between two cups and a length of string (illegal), you must (legally) delete all tracks after 24 hours. Music posted here is posted out of love, not with the intention for profit or to violate copyright. If you are the creator (or copyright owner) of a song, excerpt, essay, graphic or photo posted on this blog, please contact me if you want to comment on the selection or wish to have it removed. I will act swiftly.


PASSWORD for ALL files: MP3@3pm
For ALL PROBLEMS, please visit FAQ page
and you will surely find the answer.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)

Click for The Isle Of Arran Info SiteThe Isle Of Arran



I have to thank the guy over at An Aquarium Drunkard for this next artist as I was looking at his site the other day and playing the radio there when this artist came on and I really liked it straight off. So I found the album and here it is.
Gillian Welch. Again, I'd never heard of her until now( Just a point to the various plebs that have told me 'not knowing all artists in the world' means I am a twat, it doesn't).
The genre would probably be something like: American Mountain Music/Folk. Or, if you imagine throwing some Cajun, Blues, Country and Hillbilly music into a pot, this is what might come out the other side. Gillian has a really sweet voice and sings so well. The music is purely acoustic, uplifting, gentle and ultimately relaxing and smooth. From the opening track: 'Time', you know you're listening to something a bit special. The instrumental section sounds like an unrehearsed jam session. You'll see what I mean.

I just love the slide guitar used on this and also the banjo. They give you that feeling that you are in a bar somewhere watching a live local band. Reminds me of when I lived on a Scottish Island and the bar would have a local band where they would come in with their fiddles, banjo, bodhran and guitar and create something that you didn't think was possible. Every night was a unique experience.
These country folk really know how to play their instruments! Probably something to do with the fact that there isn't that much to do around these parts. When I lived on the Island I learned so much guitar I can definitely testify to the fact.
I know I said 'smooth' and gentle but we're not talking 'elevator music' here; Something deeper: More meaningful.
What do I know?
If you listen to it: Let me know what you think.

LINKS:

======part 1======
[RS]
3577727
welch.rar
================

Ok I am bending to popular pressure and will start the first of many posts tomorrow....of the COMPLETE BBC sessions of Sir David Bowie.
Stay Tuned.
- Link for this post -

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this album, i've never heard of her before...but i like it!

Keep up the good work

8/02/2005 02:57:00 pm  
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Hey - glad you found her album. Her and David Rawlings also comprise the band on Ryan Adams "heartbreaker" album if your like their sound.

Also, Her and Adams do a great interpretation of "revelator" on his Destroyer sessions.

8/03/2005 02:23:00 am  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Such a great song -Reveltator'. Thanks, I'll try find those and have a listen.

8/03/2005 06:24:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Been to Arran many times as I live not far from it. Excellent pubs in Brodick & Lamlash and brilliant scenery throughout the rest of the island. Loving the Bowie stuff too.

8/05/2005 11:00:00 pm  
Blogger hitmewithit said...

Wow really? You live near Arran? Damn I wish I still did.....

8/13/2005 04:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link is dead. Sorry dudes.

4/11/2006 05:51:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home